October 26, 2009

breakfast casserole



With the exception of cold cereal, breakfast doesn't get any easier than this. A quick prep the night before, and pop it in the oven in the morning. Done. My kind of meal.

This recipe, like many of my recipes, comes from my sister. She is responsible for most of the keepers in my recipe box. She is also responsible for several emotional childhood traumas, but we'll talk about that another time.

Breakfast Casserole
1 6oz box croutons, any flavor
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
10 slices crumbled bacon
4 eggs
2 C milk
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t onion salt
1/8 t pepper

Place croutons in a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle cheese and bacon over the top of croutons. Whisk the eggs, milk and spices together and pour over croutons, bacon and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, set the casserole out thirty minutes before baking.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

If you're like me in the morning, your body arrives in the kitchen a couple of cups of coffee before your brain makes an appearance. This is a great way to have a hot and hearty breakfast without any thinking involved.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if I have ever commented on your blog or not, but I follow you in my reader.
    Anyway - I was looking around for a breakfast casserole for next week (I have friends coming for a few days) and came across this one, printed it out to put with my shopping list. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete